As a woman who’s spent over half her life thicker than a snicker despite being a former athlete, I’ve tried almost every trend out there to lose/maintain weight. I’m talking everything except an eating disorder (not a joking matter, not to be taken as such). Beachbody, Visalus, Advocare, Atkins, low carb, all veggie, juicing, even doctor prescribed Phentermine a couple different times over the years just to name a few..
Want to know a secret???
They all work!!! Every single one of them with a bit of consistency.
When it came down to it, there was a variety of factors that contributed to my weight gain and loss over the years. It would take an entirely different blog post to get through them all…
The biggest reason it came down to was the mental part of it. My mentality wasn’t where I needed it to be and I was always losing weight or trying to get fit for the wrong reasons.
Once I worked on myself mentally and broke down the whys each time I went on this fitness journey and then tore down my inconsistencies on the way, I was able to make progress (still for that matter). Once I changed my outlook on this journey that should have simply been a lifestyle change, great things started happening. Physically, it hasn’t been immediate. It’s been small changes here and there. But that, in itself is progress.
- Find your why. This shouldn’t be for anyone, but you for you. Why did you gain the weight? What were some of the factors that caused it? Contrary to popular belief it’s not always eating garbage that causes. Sometimes it’s eating too much, too little, the wrong time of the day, inactivity. There’s so much more to it than that. How did you get to where you are? It may take some time, but once you start digging you will find it. To never get back to where you are, it’s important to find out how you got there to begin with.
- Get your mind right & your body will follow. The body will do whatever the mind tells it to, that’s for certain, but if you don’t get your mind right first, there’s no telling how long that will last.
- Find a form of fitness that works for you. I’m not a runner and I’ve never been a big fan. Boxing was my cardio for a number of years until I found excuses over time to get in the gym. Spin is now my happy place and I love every minute of it. But it’s not about me, what’s trending, what your friends are doing, etc. Try a little bit of everything to find what you enjoy.
- Whatever you do, choose moderation. Eating what you wish/choose, exercise, etc. That goes for everything and believe me I’m not very good at moderation either. I definitely feel like carbie most days, it happens.
You have one life and one body. Love yourself and your body every step along the way to a better you however YOU choose fit.
*Disclaimer: I’m not a fitness or health professional, these are just a few things I learned over the years, mostly the hard way.
Ever been on vacation or taking a weekend trip and you want to maximize your time while enjoying the best local food spots and visiting some of the best underground attractions??!! Absofreakinglutely is almost always the answer! Whether you’re a weekend warrior like myself or you do the 1-2 weeks of travel a year, most people want to get the most bang for the buck and not waste their time on lame things to do or less than scrumptious meals on-the-go. This is where Yelp comes in!!
While on vacation in Miami Beach, Florida a little over two years ago, we found ourselves in this predicament. I hadn’t been to Miami Beach in almost 9 years and while a few things stuck out to me, it was primarily the beach and a few of the attractions in the area. We stopped at this little oceanfront restaurant, we were a little blinded by the view of the beach. Needless to say, the two-for-one drink specials were ridiculously expensive and horrendous in taste, the food was way overpriced for what we received and the service was a joke. We spent over $100 for a horrible experience. I wasn’t a huge fan of Trip Advisor but found an app called Yelp that quickly became a favorite of mine. The restaurant we had the horrible experience at mentioned above had horrible reviews and of course I went on and added mine to the mix. But to think, all of that maybe could have been avoided..thanks to Yelp.
- Food, hotels, attractions, even gas stations could be found on there. Unsure of where to stay in an area, they’ve got you covered. Unsure of attractions in the area, they’ve got you covered. Want to try some local favorites while you’re away from home, they’ve got you covered. Not a fan of unknown restaurants and enjoy sticking to national chains, they’ve got you covered. Literally everything you can think of is on Yelp, right at your fingertips. Reviews are packed with information on the places you’re looking for, pictures and tips to give you all the information you’re looking for.
- You can bookmark your favorites. I have at the very least 6-7 boards jam-packed with my personal favorites based on the locations we visit most. I have a Lexington one for local places, Nashville, Chicago, and Las Vegas, just to name a few. No more trying to remember where you’ve been when the app can save that information for you without taking up unwanted data on your phone.
- Looking for a new restaurant to try… type hot and new restaurants in the search based on the location you’re looking for. Tired of the same ole’ date night go-to spots, simply do the above and the restaurants that have been reviewed, checked into, pictured, etc will generate for you in a flash. This is always helpful to us when we’re trying to figure out a new place to go.
- All the freebies. Yes there’s freebies and lots of them, you just have to know where to look. Restaurants in particularly are always looking for new customers. Often restaurants will offer a free coffee or drink, appetizer or dessert simply by checking in on your Yelp app. You simply mark the offer as used once shown to your server or they get a manager to check it.
- My personal favorite….the Yelp Events. All you have to do is rsvp and you get an email that you’re in or on the waiting list. We have a kick ass community leader that keeps us in the loop! The events are free and often times your community leader will introduce the manager and/or owner of the establishment and they will have a great tasting menu of items for you and others to try. These are great events filled with stellar folks that you’ll have the opportunity to socialize with while you Yelp your experience.
Interested in joining?! Download the app and get to Yelping! It’s also available on desktop for those that don’t prefer top have/use the app.
Feel free to connect with me at the link below and I’ll see you on Yelp!
My Old Kentucky Home’s Local Foodie